Spicy Bean Burger
4 cups cooked, rinsed and drained black beans (2.5 15oz cans)
1/2 cup Panko crumbs
2 large eggs
4 scallions, both white & green parts, minced
3 Tbsp chopped basil or cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
1.5-2tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp oregano
1-2tsp crushed red pepper (I did heaping 2 and it was a little too spicy I thought)
1 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Place 2 cups of the black beans in food processor and pulse until chunky
2. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add in remaining whole black beans, plus panko, eggs, scallions, fresh herbs, garlic, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes. Mix until well combined.
3. Portion mixture into patties about 1" thick. Suggested diameter is 3". Place patties on a plate and chill for 15min so they can set up.
4. When ready to cook, sprinkle the patties and salt & pepper. Place a cast-iron skillet over high heat, without any fat. When it is hot add burgers to dry pan. Cook for roughly 4 min. until well seared.
5. Turn burger onto second side and allow to cook for additional 5 min. over medium heat.
6. Serve immediately with some fixins: cheese (we did not), lettuce, fresh tomato slices, pico de gallo or salsa, sour cream, avocado. We used a whole wheat pita as a bun.
Like I said, surprisingly good! And easy to make!